As the background screening industry evolves from a compliance standpoint (among others) and certain charges are being decriminalized across the United States, it’s important to stay up to date on best practices when it comes to the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) and the Adverse Action Process.
We understand the importance of this and are committed to assisting our clients with educating their customers and end users whenever possible.
DISA Global Solutions, valued background screening, substance abuse screening and DOT compliance partner and long time client of SJV, held their second annual user group conference, Day with DISA on October 24th, 2019 in Houston, TX.
The conference is designed to provide information and resources for HR and Safety employees within safety sensitive industries such as Transportation, Oil and Gas, and Chemical. Over 400 people attended in 2018 and while we don't have official numbers on this year's conference, it looks like they met or exceeded last year's audience.
Background screening industry professionals presented on four different categories: Drug and Alcohol Testing, Background Screening, DOT/Transportation Compliance, and General DER Information. The conference consisted of sessions covering topics such as "How to Build the Perfect Drug Testing Policy" and "What’s in a Background Check? How are Products Different?"
Among the presenters was SJV’s Vince Brodt, who presented “Your Background Check Came Back With A Hit. Now What?”, with DISA's Director of Background Screening Operations, Deborah Sorchevich.
The presentation focused on how employers can build their own hiring criteria matrix and the 2-step adverse action process they must follow when they find potentially disqualifying information on a background check.
Other key topics included:
- Information on the various types of criminal records that may lead to adverse action
- Information on criminal record research methods
- Primary Source Verification
- What happens when the results of the initial search and the disputed recheck are the same?
- How to handle criminal records found in disputes
- Information to include on adverse action communications to candidates
- A step by step explanation of how to best handle adverse action claims, beginning with the hit reported, processing the adverse action internally, and how DISA’s solutions assist along the way
Upon conclusion of all presentations, attendees and fellow speakers had the opportunity to connect with one another, ask questions and learn more during the networking reception later that evening.
Do you have any specific questions about the information presented? Contact Vince directly at email@example.com or by phone at 678-483-8819.